The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an independent US Federal Government agency that has been providing reliable and efficient postal services for American citizens across the country. Almost every household in America has used the postal service at least once in a year. Today, depending on the nature of your order and delivery preferences, the USPS offers many different services to choose from.
Before making an order, though, it’s important to know what the post delivery hours are in your area. This makes sure you avoid making multiple trips to the post office just because you missed the USPS delivery-hour window. This article will provide a step-by-step of the best course of action you can take to access the correct USPS package delivery service, as well as information regarding post delivery hours for said services.
How do I find US Post Office hours?
There are two methods that you can use to find out whether there are USPS offices in locations near you. You can also find out if they deliver in hours that are to your preference.
1. USPS Locator
The USPS Locator is a tool available on the USPS official website that provides the locations of USPS offices in the country, as well as the specific USPS parcel delivery hours for the offices at each location. All you have to do is follow these four simple steps:
- Visit www.usps.com and click Find USPS Locations under Quick Tools
- Enter your city/ state or ZIP code to find USPS locations near you.
- You can choose the mile radius limit and select a Location Type that suits you.
- A Filter helps you sieve out services you’re not looking for.
Once you click enter, locations of USPS will be displayed along with the postal delivery hours for each location. For more information, you can view other locations on a map provided. You may click on the location of your choice to view further details.
You can also access the website through the official USPS app (available on Android and iOS). This can help you easily keep track of your package, change the address, schedule a pickup etc. The useful Informed Delivery service allows you to manage your packages that are scheduled to arrive soon – all you have to do is register for an account on the website.
2. Through Google Maps (GPS)
A quicker (and easier) method to view USPS delivery hours, specifically those near you, is to simply search up postal offices on Google Maps or any other GPS provider. The locations of any and all USPS offices will be displayed and clicking on any one of them will show you the working hours for that specific location. Keep in mind that this method is a short-cut that ultimately leads you to the main website, where you can view the package delivery timings in further detail.
USPS Delivery Hours/ Timings
Customers are often confused about USPS mail delivery timings being different for different orders. It’s important to keep in mind that delivery times vary according to the delivery route or package weight. Other than that, the USPS delivery service you want to opt for also changes the delivery time for an order, ranked by priority. Generally, according to USPS policies:
- Priority Mail Express items should be delivered by 10:30 am
- All domestic express mail should be delivered before 12 pm
- All international mail should be delivered before 3 pm
- All mail, parcel and packages should be delivered by 5 pm
PO Box mail delivery times usually start at 8:30 am to 9 am, with Sundays closed. The delivery days for the rest of the week also vary according to the nature of the service and may not be the same for every order made.
Listed below are some of the Mail and Shipping hours for the various services provided by USPS.
Domestic Mail & Shipping Hours
- USPS Priority Mail Express delivers shipment overnight at the earliest, or within 1-2 days
- Priority Mail delivery hours are 1-3 business days
- First Class Mail delivery hours vary between an estimated 1-3 days
- USPS Retail Ground delivery hours are an estimated 2-8 business days
- Media Mail items are also delivered in an estimated 2-8 business days
International Mail & Shipping Hours
- Global Express Guaranteed delivery hours are between 1-3 days
- Priority Mail Express International delivery hours are within 3-5 days
- Priority Mail international delivers within 6-10 business days
- First-Class Mail International, Airmail M-Bags, and First-Class Package International Service vary
Working hours for a few USPS offices are listed below. However, days and timings often vary during the holiday season.
- Location: 207 MASSACHUSETTS AVE
BOSTON, MA 02115-3043
- Open Time: Mon – Sat 8:00 am
- Business Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 am – 6:00 pm, Sat 8:00 am – 2:00 pm, Sun Closed
- Location: 7205 ALMEDA RD
HOUSTON, TX 77054-9998
- Open Time: Mon-Fri 9:00 am
- Business Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sat-Sun Closed
- Location: 8205 BRAESMAIN DR
HOUSTON, TX 77025-9998
- Open Time: Mon-Fri 7:30 am, Sat 9:00 am
- Business Hours: Mon-Fri 7:30 am – 5:00 pm, Sat 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Sun Closed
- Location: 7373 MISSION ST
DALY CITY, CA 94014-9991
- Open Time: Mon-Fri 10:30 am
- Business Hours: Mon-Fri 10:30 am – 12:30 pm, 1:45 pm – 4:00 pm, Sat-Sun Closed
- Location: 1100 SULLIVAN AVE
DALY CITY, CA 94015-9998
- Open Time: Mon-Fri 9:30 am, Sat 9:00 am
- Business Hours: Mon-Fri 9:30 am – 5:00 pm, Sat 9:00 am – 12:30 pm, Sun Closed
Some services do come with the added bonus of holiday deliveries. Money-back guarantees upon late arrivals apply to all the services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Service websites come with their own share of Frequently Asked Questions and we are no exception. We aim to make your experience with the USPS as convenient and easy to understand as possible. Listed below are answers to all the questions you may have regarding the US Postal Service.
- Does USPS deliver today?
This is a question that is asked very frequently. The answer depends on what day ‘today’ is, exactly.
If today is any day between Mondays to Fridays (week days), then USPS will deliver mail as mentioned in the service details. In case today is Saturday, then your mail will be delivered but your postman might be able to bring it to you, since some USPS post offices are closed on Saturdays.
No mail is delivered on Sundays.
In case of a postal holiday, only the Priority Mail Express is delivered. (The Priority Mail Express is the only USPS service that delivers 365 days a year).
- What hours does USPS deliver?
As mentioned previously in this article, USPS delivery hours vary for the different services provided. Generally, Domestic mail delivery hours range from 1-3 days, 2-8 business days for Media Mail and Ground Retail items.
In case of International mail delivery hours, they vary according to the services as well. Global Express Guaranteed delivery hours are between 1-3 days. Priority Mail Express International delivery hours are within 3-5 days. Priority Mail international delivers within 6-10 business days.
First-Class Mail International, Airmail M-Bags, and First-Class Package International Service vary. Refer to the USPS Delivery Timings section for more details.
- What is the latest time USPS delivers?/ When does the post office stop delivering posts?
According to USPS policies, all mail, packages and parcels are to be delivered no later than 5 pm. The delivery hours for the nature of the mail vary with the services provided.
- What is the earliest the post office makes deliveries?
Generally, the USPS deliveries occur at 9.00 am earliest.
- What are USPS transit hours?
USPS truck deliveries/ transit hours coincide with the nature of the delivery service that applies to your package/ mail. For more information, refer to the USPS Delivery Timings section.
- How late does USPS deliver priority mail?
For Domestic Shipping, Priority Mail is delivered within 1-3 days, while Priority Mail Express is delivered overnight at the earliest or 1-2 days.
For International Shipping, Priority Mail is delivered within 6-10 business days while Priority Mail Express is delivered within 3-5 days.
(International Shipping may be subject to changing policies in times of crisis).
- Is today a Postal Holiday?
All USPS post offices are closed on postal holidays. Postal holidays include:
- January 1 (New Year’s)
- January 21 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- February 18 (President’s Day)
- May 27 (Memorial Day)
- July 4 (Independence Day)
- September 2 (Labor Day)
- October 14 (Columbus Day)
- November 11 (Veterans Day)
- November 28 (Thanksgiving)
- December 25 (Christmas)
…we hope this article helped answer any queries you may have had concerning delivery timings and details for USPS. Our main goal is to provide details and help overcome the major obstacles faced by readers that visit this site for help, and try to make your USPS experience much simpler. For more information, feel free to reach out to us or visit the official USPS website (www.usps.com), where you can freely browse all the available options, as well as the many different packages and deals being offered.